Monday, August 31, 2009

Country Roads, Take Me Home.

I used to l-o-v-e country music. I could listen to it all day, every day...it's like each song was written for me. I think my love stemmed from working on my grandpa's farm for a few summers up in in Newton with my cousins. Here is how a typical day went:

  • Really Early: Wake up and go pull rye or move pipe.
  • 10:30ish AM: Come home and nap.
  • The Rest of the Day: Call and prank cereal companies and/or do whatever we felt like. Also. CMT was on THE ENTIRE DAY.
We would leave it on and then hurry and press record on the VCR when a tape-worthy video came on. Here are a few of our faves.

Another favorite of Katie's was 'Standing Outside the Fire' (of course by GB). I was DYING to see this video. Katie had really hyped it up-- a cute handicapped boy who is running in a track meet. He falls just before the finish line, but gets cheered on by his mom and coach to finish. I know, right? I had to see it. It's like CMT knew it was a fan favorite though and never played it. One day after another great nap, my grandma told me Katie had called to tell me "the video" was on. WHAT!?! It was like taking a bullet. Grandma grandma grandma. Rest assured I did finally see the video, and yes- it was everything I had hoped it would be.

Years later, I began to h-a-t-e country music. No reason, really. My friend Lindsey and I decided it was lame and made a vow to disown it. I really don't think I listened for a good 3-4 years. Working on Virginia has changed all of that, though. It's like my soul was screaming for it as I was getting down and dirty with all the work the house has offered us. At first I almost felt guilty pressing play, but before I knew it I was singing right a long. Total bliss. Alabama, John Denver, Keith Urban...I need it all!

So thanks, Karlee and Katie for getting my love started. And Virginia, thanks for bringing me home.

5 comments:

  1. I've NEVER considered myself a country music fan yet there's several songs on my mp3 running playlist that would expose me. Ya gotta admit... there's something very feel-good about country music. The "life sucks sometimes but just buck up and be happy" attitude is hard to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christie. I love this post. I knew you couldn't stay away from country forever. In honor of your new-found love, Katie and I would like you to join us for the Brad Paisley concert September 19th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout out to all your cowgirl friends....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaahhh. Summers in Newton. Don't forget Sunday afternoon croquet. I miss those days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is all I have to say, "Tell me WHOOO wants to look back on these years..." (looking like farm animals.)

    ReplyDelete